POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Playing Crysis : Re: Playing Crysis Server Time
9 Oct 2024 23:21:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Playing Crysis
From: Warp
Date: 8 Feb 2009 07:53:14
Message: <498ed5ba@news.povray.org>
Florian Pesth <fpe### [at] gmxde> wrote:
> Germany was a democracy when Hitler was elected by the people. All of
> those ideologies want to abolish the democratic order of germany.

  Are you saying that democracy is a bad thing? Because it certainly looks
that way.

  Well, I actually wouldn't find it surprising even if it were true,
because that seems to be a common trend in Europe nowadays: Democracy
and freedom of opinion is a bad thing because it allows some people to
have the wrong opinions.

  Some people say (something along the lines of): "Freedom of opinion
doesn't mean you can be a racist." Well, freedom of opinion means precisely
that you can be a racist if you want, or support whatever else ideology you
want. That's precisely what it means. If you outlaw opinions, you are
suppressing freedom.

  Allowing people to have certain opinions doesn't mean you support those
opinions or agree with them.

  I certainly detest some people's opinions (such as racism and nazism),
but they just have the right to have an opinion. If they start harming
other people, that's a completely different issue, but as long as they
are only opinions and don't bother others, that's their right.

  However, in modern Europe it's more and more common to forbid certain
opinions (even if it's not still de jure, very certainly de facto).

--
                                                          - Warp