POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Playing Crysis : Re: Playing Crysis Server Time
9 Oct 2024 23:20:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Playing Crysis
From: Chambers
Date: 8 Feb 2009 06:36:25
Message: <498ec3b9$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/7/2009 11:09 PM, Warp wrote:
> Chambers<ben### [at] pacificwebguycom>  wrote:
>> Unfortunately, it's crashed my computer twice now.  I have to try the
>> latest update to see if that fixes anything.
>
>    Can you monitor the GPU and CPU temperatures somehow?
>
>    I have never heard how common it is, but I have the strong suspicion that
> at least sometimes the computer crashing when playing a game is caused by
> overheating, rather than any bug in the game (or other software) itself.
>
>    After all, a game like Crysis probably stresses the GPU (and the CPU)
> quite a lot, and they tend to gain temperature when overworked.

Windows reported that the crash was in the ATI driver.  The Catalyst
Control Center has a monitor section, so I'll try it out tomorrow and
see how hot it gets.

FWIW, I bought this card on Ebay, and it came with a ridiculously large
aftermarket fan attached.  I thought that was a little odd (since I was
already getting a good price on the card, and the fan should cost even
more), until I plugged it in and noticed a faint ghost image offset from
the actual image by a few millimeters.

I strongly suspect that the previous owner of this card overheated it,
panicked, slapped a large fan on it, and put it on Ebay.

Still, it runs quite well, and I haven't had any problems in other games
(even UT3, which is quite new as well).  The ghosting isn't noticeable
in games (too much motion), and I've learned to ignore it when working
with text.

--
...Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com