POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Open Source Documentation : Re: Open Source Documentation Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:21:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Open Source Documentation
From: nemesis
Date: 7 Feb 2009 17:03:48
Message: <498e0544$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> Ah, well. The interface is, in some ways, just as jarring as the
>> documentation, so, its a good match. ;) lol
>
> I'm finding that the interface is, after a few days, merely annoying
> rather than difficult. Everything seems to be in the menus somewhere (at
> least to the level of expertise I have), the commands you use a lot you
> just learn, etc. It seems like the kind of interface that if you worked
> with it for a week or two you'd get pretty good at it.
>
> Not unlike vi or emacs, really.

Exactly.  Blender feels to me closer to vi than anything else.  You just
press regular keys and contextual commands are issued.

> I was just kind of bemused at someone implementing a feature for a
> program as big and complex and public as Blender, and getting it checked
> into the official version, with apparently no documentation at all about
> what the feature is actually supposed to accomplish. It seems very
> unprofessional for such a professional-level program.

Is it source code documentation for other programmers -- intending on
contributing with Blender?  Blender's official user-level documentation
is a wiki so it may simply not have catched up with source modifications.