POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Open Source Documentation : Re: Open Source Documentation Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:17:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Open Source Documentation
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 7 Feb 2009 16:45:36
Message: <498e0100$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> The interface is, in some ways, just as jarring as the documentation,
>
> Bwa ha ha!
>
> """
> This constraint assumes that the Y axis will be the axis that does the
> stretching, and doesn't give you the option of using a different one
> because it would require too many buttons to do so.
> """
>
> As if adding buttons for X and Z would suddenly make Blender have "too
> many buttons". :-)

Snort.. Tried to follow a "simple" tutorial on using Blender to make
sculpties for Second Life and got lost half way through because the
bottom display "menu" I needed to do it was "not" the one already
displayed, but one you had to get to using some other convoluted method,
and.. the tutorial maker didn't think about the fact that it wasn't
"obvious" how to get to it. Maybe after a few tries, an some notes, I
could manage it, but since the "only" advantage Blender seemed to give
me was an "unwrap" thing for exporting a template, and using that the
"draw" the image I wanted, and "that" didn't really work quite right
with something with really complete geometry, I went back to Wings 3D
and making the textures the hard way. What is really needed is something
more like the Deep Paint, or what ever it was called, which let you draw
on the "template" or even on the object itself, and "see" what the
result was, without having to import the texture to Blender, or some
other application. For my purposes, I need a tool "designed" for
sculpties, but without the absurd limitations of the current tools.
Everything else either, like Blender, can introduce folds/gap in the
geometry that are dysfunctional when exported to SL format, or
add/remove geometry, which causes a failure to even "produce" such a
map. Just something as simple as the trick of making "gaps" in the mesh,
which other people manage, is problematic, since what kind you can do,
and how, depends on either exceptional skill, or special tools that
limit you to "specific" types of objects, like gears with holes in them.

Now, being moderately skilled, but hardly "expert" at this stuff, and
realizing that one "huge" issue with sculpt maps is the same as POVRay
when dealing with surface normals that get "twisted", and the issues of
fixing those (especially when its color that defines that in this case,
not raw numbers), the last thing I need is to be dealing with an
interface that makes things more complicated than they necessarily need
to be. :p

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {