POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Game recommendations : Re: Game recommendations Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:21:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Game recommendations
From: nemesis
Date: 7 Feb 2009 16:08:22
Message: <498df846@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> nemesis <nam### [at] nospam-gmailcom> wrote:
>   I was quite disappointed with FF7 when I got to play it recently.
> (I had never even seen it before, only read about how "great" it is.)
> Not only is it technically completely sub-par (even for the Playstation,
> especially compared to other similar PS games such as Chrono Cross or
> FF9)

Well, I can assure you that when it came in 1997 it was the most
impressive game to ever grace a game screen.  I'm talking of the battle
scenes, mostly, but the video scenes were pretty amazing too.  And if
you couldn't be moved by the creepy atmosphere as you learn Cloud's
past, well, you're made of ice, man... ;)

>> - Super Metroid (SNES) (best action/adventure side-scroller ever)
>
>   How exactly is one of the best-ranked, best-selling games of all times
> an "underdog"?-)

Huh, did it really sell all that?  Well, still a favorite...

>> - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64) (you know)
>
>   This one even more. (Gets regularly on the top of "best games of all
> time" lists.)

I have to insist.

>   The problem with the modern ones: The best Spectrum text adventures had
> images for each room (and there could be graphics of collectible objects,
> doors in in closed and open states, etc.), while all the modern text
> adventures are text-only.

That's what text mean, I guess.  In any case, the best Spectrum (or PS3
for the matter) images are not the same quality as my brain pictures it
from reading the descriptions.

>   I would really like to play those text adventures with graphics, but
> there just doesn't seem to be any nowadays.

Have you actually tried any of the ones I linked to?  No, no images, but
perhaps they could change your mind.  I dare you try it, at least Shade.
  Like I said, they are not quite games in the same sense of the old
ones.  They are more like experimental interactive role playing.