POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Playing Crysis : Re: Playing Crysis Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:21:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Playing Crysis
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 7 Feb 2009 14:23:14
Message: <498ddfa2$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> I will admit the number of video games where you're expected to fight
> off an entire army by yourself is pretty common. :-)  I mean, really,
> can you expect Gordon Freeman to really do what he does, even with the
> suit?

Well, how many times does Dr Freeman actually come face to face with
more than about 3 enemies at once? Not very often. If anything, that's
where the realism is lacking.

 From a game design point of view, it's a bit tricky. In a real battle
with 30 people vs 30 people, the battle isn't won or lost by any one
individual person - but for a single player computer game, it needs to
be, or the game isn't real interesting. If your buddies are too good,
you don't really need to do anything and you can just stand around and
let them do it all. If they're too rubbish, you won't stand a chance.

> Incidentally, what's up with the number of video games that separate
> armor from health? Is there really any benefit to that? Does it actually
> make the game more interesting that you sometimes find first aid kits
> and sometimes find armor shards?

Crysis is one of the few (only?) games I've seen where you don't wander
round collecting health and armour. Your suit continuously generates it,
so just as long as you can find some cover, in theory you shouldn't ever
die.

Unfortunately for the last several hours I've been surrounded by
airborne hostiles that you can't hide from. :-/

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/