POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Playing Crysis : Re: Playing Crysis Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:22:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Playing Crysis
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 7 Feb 2009 11:48:33
Message: <498dbb61@news.povray.org>

news:498d9b50@news.povray.org...
>  I can't help but to get the feeling that by banning everything related
> to nazis, they are pretending that WW2 never happened.

Germany doesn't ban "everything related to nazis", far from it. The ban on
nazi symbols doesn't affect works created for educational or artistic
purposes and mostly concerns situations that glamourize (or trivialise)
those symbols. There was one game banned, Castle Wolfenstein, because 1) it
featured swastikas as cute design elements (the levels were swastika-shaped)
and 2) it used the nazi anthem as the game music.
Actually, Germany has been producing an incredible amount of quality,
insightful work regarding WW2, from documentaries to fictions. They don't
exactly shy away from the topic. One wishes that other countries would do
the same for their own skeletons-in-the-closet...
Just for the fun of it, a 3D animation by German cartoonist Walter Moers
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KufHGYKqH9E (English version)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17Jg1Jjzwoo (German version, with karaoke
subtitles)

G.