POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Game recommendations : Re: Game recommendations Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:18:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Game recommendations
From: Warp
Date: 7 Feb 2009 10:09:40
Message: <498da434@news.povray.org>
nemesis <nam### [at] nospam-gmailcom> wrote:
> > - Grim Fandango. Every gaming website always has this game on their top
> > list of best games in history, praising it for its ingenuity and writing,
> > yet it seems that people still don't know it. It's a very old game, but
> > still works well.

> One of those Lucasarts point-n-click classics with clever writing and
> the right dose of humor and suspense.  Rightful heirs to Infocom legacy. :)

  Actually not point-and-click. Walk-and-turn. The controls work very well
with a game controller.

> > - Final Fantasy I and II. These are basically the original FF1 and FF2

> Final Fantasy 6 (SNES), 7 and Tactics (Playstation 1) are the best in
> the franchise, hands down!  5 and 8 were almost there.

  I was quite disappointed with FF7 when I got to play it recently.
(I had never even seen it before, only read about how "great" it is.)
Not only is it technically completely sub-par (even for the Playstation,
especially compared to other similar PS games such as Chrono Cross or
FF9), but I didn't find the gameplay and story all that compelling.

> Well, here are some of my personal favorite underdogs, in no particular
> order except perhaps being closer to my heart:
> - Super Metroid (SNES) (best action/adventure side-scroller ever)

  How exactly is one of the best-ranked, best-selling games of all times
an "underdog"?-)

> - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64) (you know)

  This one even more. (Gets regularly on the top of "best games of all
time" lists.)

> In later years I've been digging interactive-fiction games (AKA
> text-adventures) very much.

  I enjoyed text adventures for the ZX Spectrum a lot.

  The problem with the modern ones: The best Spectrum text adventures had
images for each room (and there could be graphics of collectible objects,
doors in in closed and open states, etc.), while all the modern text
adventures are text-only.

  I would really like to play those text adventures with graphics, but
there just doesn't seem to be any nowadays.

--
                                                          - Warp