POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Open Source Documentation : Re: Open Source Documentation Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:18:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Open Source Documentation
From: Darren New
Date: 7 Feb 2009 00:25:41
Message: <498d1b55@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Ah, well. The interface is, in some ways, just as jarring as the
> documentation, so, its a good match. ;) lol

I'm finding that the interface is, after a few days, merely annoying rather
than difficult. Everything seems to be in the menus somewhere (at least to
the level of expertise I have), the commands you use a lot you just learn,
etc. It seems like the kind of interface that if you worked with it for a
week or two you'd get pretty good at it.

Not unlike vi or emacs, really.

I like the tutorials, and the documentation seems good. I was just
commenting on the occasional speed-bump I run across.

Contrast with, say, Hash animation master. I paid good money for that, and
it's copy-locked and came with the wrong documentation. Why? Because they
hadn't sold out last year's documentation, so they shipped last year's book
with this year's program. Plus, the help file wasn't up to date and didn't
actually work search-wise, so you had to basically grope into the HTML files
yourself if you wanted to find something.  That ticks me off way more.

I was just kind of bemused at someone implementing a feature for a program
as big and complex and public as Blender, and getting it checked into the
official version, with apparently no documentation at all about what the
feature is actually supposed to accomplish. It seems very unprofessional for
such a professional-level program.

Kind of like the "Freenet" stuff - the people documenting it had to read the
checked in code to try to figure out how it works. Not really how I'd want
to document a complex security system.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"