POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? : Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? Server Time
9 Oct 2024 17:46:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 6 Feb 2009 23:17:29
Message: <498d0b59$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
>> Its what the existing backup I have does, I think, but since it only
>> backs up stuff it wants to, and doesn't use any compression, its a) a
>> storage hog, and b) not terribly useful.
>
> Ah. The Microsoft one does that sort of thing, except it uses zip files,
> and it saves in the shadow volume history stuff information about where
> it is in the zip files. So if you want to restore a messed up file, you
> right-click, open up "previous versions", and it lists all the online
> and offline backups of the files.
>
> It would be *great* if you could get it to back up everything.
>
> Mine just makes a second copy onto a compressed directory, so altho the
> compression isn't as good as you could get with bzip or something, it's
> not too bad. You could also use robocopy to compare versions and make
> yourself some hard links, or use VSS then image the differences onto
> another drive, or stuff like that. All kinds of funkiness.
>
> A couple more links for things we've been talking about:
> http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10157210-56.html?tag=nl.e703
> http://www.eventid.net/
> In case you actually care about it.
>
> Me, drive space is so cheap these days I don't mind keeping both images
> and incrementals-of-local-dirs on disks.

Yeah. I bought the one touch specifically to help backups, but ended up
also using it for installs and downloads, etc... I ran out of room on C
and D. lol Mind, I have a Fedora partition I am not using, and if I had
an old copy of partition magic and the guts to try, I would wipe it,
move D: closer to the end of the drive, then resize "both" so that the
OS and data/program partitions where bigger. lol

Might, if really lazy, just reinstall stuff, if I upgrade to 7. Which I
probably will, due to too many things I have needing Windows. :p

Oh, on that note. This is kind of funny:

http://www.zdnet.com.au/video/soa/Ratbags-take-Windows-7-to-the-street/0,2000065477,22470997p,00.htm

Result, as they state: a) no one knows what Windows 7 looks like, and b)
no one likes Vista. lol

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {