POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Game recommendations : Re: Game recommendations Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:20:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Game recommendations
From: Darren New
Date: 6 Feb 2009 22:25:24
Message: <498cff24$1@news.povray.org>
Bill Pragnell wrote:
> The single computer game I have most ever enjoyed playing is: "Exile"
> for the BBC Micro.

There was also a great game I played on TRS-80 Model I machines. I don't
remember what it was called, but it involved a number of star systems
various distances apart, and you trying to take over most or all of them.
You could build (say) warships on planet Alpha, raise an army on planet
Beta, then ship them both off to planet Gamma to take over. The fun part was
you'd have to figure out how far apart the planets were and account for
travel time as well as construction time. If you could enlist three ship's
worth of troops a year and build one ship a year, and it took 20 years to
get from alpha to gamma and 10 years to get from alpha to beta and 15 to get
from beta to gamma, you had to figure out when to start building ships and
when to start sending them, and account for your own travel time too.

Plus you could buy and sell stuff, raising money so you could take over
governments and stuff too.  I think there were actually multiple games, one
where you're a trader, one where you're a general, and one where you're a
government or some such.

Low-res graphics, basically dots for stars with labels next to them. But
lots of fun for that sort of thing.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"