POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Verizon math fail : Re: Verizon math fail Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:21:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Verizon math fail
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 6 Feb 2009 16:59:30
Message: <498cb2c2$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   Then there's the other extreme of people, who are really good at it.
> Like that mathematician (I forget his name, but one of the famous ones)
> who was in grade school and the teacher told the students to sum all the
> numbers from 1 to 100, to keep them busy for at least half an hour, and
> practice summation. This guy gives the correct in far less than a minute,
> and the teacher is amazed.

I have a vague recollection that might be Galios. And the teacher set
the problem to keep specifically him quiet.

>   Unfortunately not many people have that kind of deduction power at
> that age (or at any age).

For what it's worth, I can never ever remember *exactly* what the
correct formula for that is. It's roughly half the square, but I can
never remember the exact figure.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/