POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Verizon math fail : Re: Verizon math fail Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:20:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Verizon math fail
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 6 Feb 2009 15:43:37
Message: <498ca0f9$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   What I find strange in this particular example is that several people
> at that company had the exact same misconception

This reminds me of a story told by my high school physics teacher about
a survey done to test people's understanding of basic science concepts
which contained the question:

"is there gravity on the moon"

A large number of people got this wrong, which is odd but maybe not so
surprising.  What's more surprising is that the they were then asked:

"You've seen the videos of people walking on the moon, if there's no
gravity how do they do that?"

Some people changed their answer at this point, but aparently a large
number responded:

"Because they have heavy boots!"

I completely fail to understand the reasoning that would give rise to
such a conclusion.