POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Playing Crysis : Re: Playing Crysis Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:19:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Playing Crysis
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 6 Feb 2009 12:10:51
Message: <498c6f1b@news.povray.org>
>> The only really useful elements I've discovered so far are speed (so you
>> can skip the boring bits - or just run away once you've been spotted) and
>> stealth. Turn on stealth, walk 10 paces, hide, turn off stealth, wait,
>> turn on stealth, walk 10 paces, hide, turn off stealth, wait, turn on
>> stealth, walk 10 paces.... it gets repetative very quickly.
>
>      Heh, well it will get repetitive if you play like that. :)

Well, I don't see how else you can play it, really. You're weapons do
little to no damage to the enemy, and you're wildly outnumbered. As soon
as somebody spots you, you've got about 20 seconds to get the **** away
from there, or be surrounded by 25 people in a circle all shooting you.

If somebody spots you, even killing them (assuming you manage to) won't
prevent backup rushing to their aid. About the only time you can do it
is if there's just (say) 3 people in the middle of nowhere. Creep up as
close as you can, kill them all as rapidly as possible, you might not die.

(Seriously... I would have through an SMG to the face from 6 feet would
be pretty fatal. But apparently not. It just makes them fall over. Nice
trick for making you think they're dead when they're not though...)

Given how hopelessly outnumbered and outgunned you are, stealth seems
the only feasible tactic. It's getting harder and harder though; how do
you stealth across a 60-foot rope bridge? Stealth doesn't last 60 feet!

>> (Also, I've discovered that people apparently can still kinda see you if
>> you're moving. Fortunately, stealth lasts almost forever if you stand
>> still. Not sure what happens if somebody actually walks into you...)
>
>       They will detect you when close and will start firing at you. The
> thing to do (if you have enough charge left) is to move fairly quickly, and
> away from them. They then 'lose' you again.

Yeah, I figured. Occasionally if you're in the middle of a firefight,
just cloaking is enough to make them leave you alone. Although usually
you don't have enough power to do that...

>> The binoculars seem surprisingly unhelpful, and it's generally extremely
>> hard to tell if there's anything hostile around.
>
>    No, they're quite good, if you get it right, the noc's will highlight an
> enemy in a building.

Hmm. Mine don't hilight anything. Except the LZ you're trying to get to,
which is usually behind half a kilometer of mountain range or something.

>> Love the way all the weapons have names like FY71. How memorable.
>
>    That's my favourite weapon, it will become your friend. (Well, until you
> find the Gauss that is...)  O.O

I prefer the one you start the game with. It has a better scope, and it
reloads much faster. I've died several times from having to reload the
FY71 - i.e., it takes months to reload! >_< But unfortunately there's
never any ammo for it, only for the FY71.

Still, that's nothing. I just spent 20 minutes working my bum off to get
hold of a sniper rifle. And you know what? As soon as you fire it, the
entire neighborhood knows exactly where you are. *And* it doesn't even
kill people - isn't that great? What's the point of a non-fatal sniper
rifle??

>> Anyway, I discovered the multiple firing modes, but I have yet to figure
>> out what any of them do.
>
>   Oh, well, let's see now. You'll have the 'sleep dart' - which puts enemies
> to sleep for a while, and then there's the grenade launcher attachment,
> (very handy against small vehicles, groups of enemies), and then you have
> the incendiary bullets for the FY71 which apparently hit with a bit more
> punch and catch things alight, (which I've never used).

I tried the sleep dart. Unfortunately, enemies still hear it, so it's
not really much use.

My HUD indicates that I have some grenades, but I can't figure out how
to use them. (Probably just as well - most likely I'd kill *myself*!)

>> As for "pick up the guns the bad buys have", that's what you do in FarCry.
>> Unfortunately, in Crysis everybody seems to be armed either with pistols
>> or shotguns, neither of which are very useful.
>
>     Yeah, you'll have to look for one. If it's a big group of enemies, then
> there's usually one with something different - it might be a SCAR with a
> better scope. Or when you're in a village, there's usually a better weapon
> hidden in some back room, or out on the porch. Just look around basically.
> ;)

It takes long enough to sneak through a large village at 10 paces a shot
as it is, without doing extra millage to see if you can find something
worth having.

I did briefly find a rocket launcher. But then 3 tanks came along, and I
only just had enough ammo to take them out.

>> I must admit, I haven't tried jumping in speed mode yet.
>
>     And switch to other powers when doing it. :)

I tried jumping in speed mode. It's no different to armour mode, as far
as I can tell. You'd think you could jump really far moving that fast...
but no.

>>>     Have you grabbed an NK yet?
>> Er, no. Because if I got that close to one, I'd already be *dead* :-P
>
>     Oh, you can, just speed up to the guy with no weapons in hand and hit
> 'f', you don't have to have the 'grab' text showing. Then whilst holding
> him, change to strength mode and throw him in the air! Lol...

I'm sure my amusement would be very short-lived given that I'll be long
dead by the time I've reconfigured modes. (Not to mention having no
power left to start with...)

It seems like a lot of effort to do something extremely difficult and
complicated which doesn't produce a particularly useful outcome.

>> Haven't seen any ladders yet. I have, however, seen a really freakin big
>> flying monster, BTW...
>
>    Ooooo... They're comin' to GET YA!

Nah, just freeze everything, apparently.

>>> jump over your enemies and whilst in mid-air, switch to cloak, turn
>>> around and kill 'em all! :)
>> Yes. Because you can get that close without dying. And, during the 0.5
>> second flight time, you will be able to execute the 5-second "change suit
>> mode" procedure. Not to mention that the guy's buddies will all be
>> shooting at where they last saw you.
>
>       Are you using the middle mouse button to change suit modes?

*Is* there any other way to change it?

>    Here's a tip: Go into strength mode when using your scopes and about to
> fire, it holds the rifle steadier for a better aim.

OK, well I guess that makes sense...

In general, my problem isn't aiming. It's that I cloak, sneak up to
within 4 feet of an enemy, position the scope exactly in the middle of
his chest, pull the trigger, and it takes about a quarter of an hour of
shooting him before he dies. (WTF?)

It just seems strange to me that you're this hyper souped-up metal man,
but you don't have any guns that kill things...

>> (BTW... The characters look friggin *amazing*! And turning the graphics up
>> to "high" really does make the game look even more awesome...)
>
>      <green>

Oh, it *is* a little laggy. But it's a little laggy no matter what
graphics settings I pick, so I think it's the CPU not the GPU that's
overloaded.

>> I'll let you know about the framerate. Which key is it to access the
>> console?
>
>       Left of the 1 key.

Heh. Yeah, I found it. (But by then I couldn't remember the command!)
Most Source-powered games give you autocomplete...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/