POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A second comming : Re: A second comming Server Time
9 Oct 2024 11:34:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A second comming
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 6 Feb 2009 08:04:33
Message: <498c3561$1@news.povray.org>
More snow is falling. Unlike yesterday, this time my dad decided we
would attempt to get to work today.

Usually that takes 1 hour. Not today. Every time we reached a hill,
there was a lorry at the bottom of it spinning its wheels. We managed to
illegally overtake a few of them, but then we'd drive a mile or so and
hit another 4-mile traffic jam behind another lorry stuck on another hill.

At 9:30 AM we decided to turn round and come home. Except the route we
came by was now blocked as well. We got less than half way to work, and
it took until noon to get back home again - several times longer than
the outbound journey. :-D

Oh, and we also helped a damsel in distress on a deserted backroad we
found. She was sitting in her heavy car with its powerful engine,
spinning the wheels. Me and my dad were able to rock the car until it
attained traction. (I make it sound easy. It wasn't. My office shoes
have no tred; they are flat at the bottom. I couldn't get any traction
to push with.)

While I'm here, can we straighten this out? I was under the impression
that the correct way to drive in snow is the following:

- The correct way to get traction is to turn the wheels as slowly as
possible, not spin them at maximum power.

- If your car skids, turn into the direction of the skid.

- If you skip under braking, ease off the brakes. If you skid under
acceleration, reduce power a little.

- If you need to go up hill, do it fast so the momentum will carry you
over. (I saw lots of people slowing down for the hills in case they
skid, or trying to go up a hill from a stationary position.)

Can anyone confirm or refuse these claims?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/