POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bitter failure : Re: Bitter failure Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:19:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bitter failure
From: Chambers
Date: 6 Feb 2009 02:59:34
Message: <498bede6$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/4/2009 11:47 PM, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Mueen Nawaz wrote:
>
>> Advice: When you're going to shell out lots of money, do your research
>> to find out whether the product can actually do what you want.
>
> Yeah. I made the mistake of assuming that just because the product I
> bought says CUDA all over it, it would be able to do CUDA...

Have you actually researched CUDA?
Do you plan on using it yourself?

I've looked into it a bit, and it's not useful for anything I would want
to do.

There actually IS a version of TMPGEnc that uses it... to run slower
than an Intel Core 2 Quad.  Great achievement, NVidia.

OpenCL, whenever it gets released (the specs have been finalized, I
believe) *looks* useful, just like CUDA *looks* useful (although OpenCL
is vendor agnostic, so you've got access to a much larger installed
base), but we have no way of knowing how fast things will run until AMD
and NVidia get some implementations finished & shipped (hopefully later
this year, but if they have to cut staff then maybe early next).

--
...Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com