POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : You know it's been a cold winter when... : Re: You know it's been a cold winter when... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:18:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: You know it's been a cold winter when...
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 6 Feb 2009 00:00:57
Message: <498bc409$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 18:46:27 +0000, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>> It's funny how that works, isn't it?  My wife and I went out the other
>> day to go chat with our neighbours, and she put on a fairly heavy coat;
>> I went out wearing a T-shirt.
>>
>> It was 37F outside at the time.  She declared it cold, but I thought it
>> was really nice out.
>>
>> But 37F in October or November is *freezing*.
>
> I have video footage of me standing outside in my pyjamas, bare foot, in
> several inches of snow.

I've done the barefoot thing in the snow.  I grew up in Minnesota, where
it gets damned cold (or used to when I was growing up) and the snow was
usually a couple of feet deep through the winter - the only exception was
the pile that was made by the snowblower from clearing the driveway -
that tended to be taller than I was.

> Let me repeat that: My bare feet are immersed in actual ice. The air
> temperature is several degrees below freezing.
>
> And yet... it didn't seem all that cold. WTF?! Not sure how that's
> physically possible... right now the air in my bedroom is about 17°C and
> my hands and feet are numb with cold. And I'm wearing multiple layers!

I think it's a combination of relative temperatures and when you're
younger, your heart beats faster, keeping your core temperature up easier.

But that's just a guess; I didn't take biology in high school or college.

Jim