POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Constructing a geometry : Re: Constructing a geometry Server Time
3 Jul 2024 04:52:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Constructing a geometry
From: Chris B
Date: 5 Feb 2009 04:44:12
Message: <498ab4ec$1@news.povray.org>
"Amir_ni" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
news:web.498aa9d13b9d3d08792c7d270@news.povray.org...
> Is it possible to make the shape of that cavity as an
> independent object like a sphere so that I can use illumination features?
> mean, when I use """  finish{ambient 0.3 specular 0.5 reflection 0.4}  """
> inside the difference command block, I think it doesn't illuminates the
> new
> shape, but it first illuminates the sphere and then make a geometrical
> subtraction (though I may be wrong). I want to do some illumination effect
> on
> the object so that when I turn the camera, the gloss and other effect can
> be
> observed.

You should be able to add the finish straight into the 'difference' after
the 'pigment' definition, or you can place both inside a texture block:

  texture {
    pigment{ color rgb<1,0,0> }
    finish{ambient 0.3 specular 0.5 reflection 0.4}
  }

The 'difference' is a CSG operation (Constructive Solid Geometry) and the
result is an object that almost always behaves in the same way that
primitives such as the sphere do.

Regards,
Chris B.