POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Worst read ever : Re: Worst read ever Server Time
9 Oct 2024 18:19:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Worst read ever
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 4 Feb 2009 01:22:07
Message: <4989340f@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin%27s_Black_Box
>
> I wasted about a week reading this book. If any of you have the change
> to read it... don't bother. Seriously.
>
> While reading this book, I was actually astonished that somebody could
> seriously present such obvious nonesense as "fact". I was simply amazed
> that anybody would agree to print such lies. Furthermore, the author is
> apparently paid to work as a "scientist", yet he seems to not comprehend
> the simple definition of what "science" actually is.
>
> Seriously... I wasted a week of my life! >_<
>
> (Although some of the stuff was interesting... Inbetween the
> thinly-disguised religious rantings, there was some interesting science.
> Like the cascade of chemical reactions that turn a photon impact into an
> electric potential.)

Actually, what is worse is that he is a math expert, but.. As near as
"anyone" that knows math can figure, the guy can't even manage to get
that right in his book.

There is another example of this from the same bunch recently. A Cdesign
Proponentcists got hold of an neat equation and wibbled a load of
fertilizer over it. His "first" magic trick was take what meant "total
number of possible combinations", and convert that too, "How many
attempts are made.", since he has no way to even "get" that number, he
imagines the number of "animals" that could have existing in 6,000
years, and uses "that".. Huh?? Not even close to the original.

Second trick was to take the part that is defined as "The total number
of possible combinations that 'can' produce the protein you want.", (
this is rather large really, there are multiple ways to "code for"
nearly every protein imaginable, like hundreds, if not thousands), and
says, "Well, there is only 'one' solution".  WTF?

Then, the third slight of hand is to "declare" than any "winning" result
has to have an arbitrary limit in size. Same argument made with the
whole "macro/micro" BS, that there is some imaginary "limit" on how many
things you can change via random effects, before you magically stop
getting any sort of changes/information from it... So, he simply pulls
something out of his backside, and declares "that" as the limit.

So.. You have "Life has to have resulting in X attempts, with only one
possible correct result, and using only the 'allowed' amount of
information to get there.", which basically takes the original equation,
and doesn't just make shit up to lie, but puts the whole thing in a
blender, and hits "puree". Dumb people, i.e., those without someone to
explain the deceit, stair at the resulting blob of muck and go, "Ah,
right, what ever you say it is. I'll... take you at your word on this
one.", or so they "hope".

Basically, its Beheistic math. Use an equation in a way that makes "no"
sense, with just plain made up numbers in some places, and implausible
ones in others, then hope, knowing you will probably be right, that most
people won't have the slightest damn idea how incorrectly you "used" the
math, or how big a lie you just told, thus convincing them its a rabbit
your pulling out of the hat, not what's left of their brains:

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2009/01/durstons_devious_distortions.php

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {