POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Allied forces : Re: Allied forces Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:16:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Allied forces
From: Invisible
Date: 3 Feb 2009 07:28:03
Message: <49883853$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Holsenback wrote:

> Mother nature is pretty amazing  isn't she?

Amazing... terrifying... one or he other. (My mum is still creeped out
by the 4-foot millipede that catches and eats live bats.)

> I saw a piece on a very small tree frog that borrows into ground and it's
> actually frozen there until the spring thaw.

Yeah. I think that's the Andean frog I mentioned.

It's cells have antifreeze, and the intercellular space has a chemical
which *prmotes* freezing. The net result is that the space between the
cells freezes, but the cells themselves do not. In essense, the animal
becomes a colony of single-celled organisms for a few months.

> The opposite end of the spectrum ... those tube worms living near those
> volcanic vents at the bottom of the ocean.
>
> Like I said life is an unstoppable force.

There are bacteria that live *in* those volcanic vents, never mind
"near" them. ;-)