POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : White is in the winter : Re: White is in the winter Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:21:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: White is in the winter
From: scott
Date: 3 Feb 2009 03:13:46
Message: <4987fcba$1@news.povray.org>
> Yes. I was saying, in a theoretical context, people often assume that
> objects collide with no deformation, but presumably in the real world this
> never actually happens...

I have never heard the assumption that the objects don't deform.  Assuming
small elastic deformations during the collision is popular, or even small
inelastic deformations, but never *no* deformation...

Even at school I remember doing the coefficient of restitution in physics
classes, that allows you to calculate what happens during inelastic
collisions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coefficient_of_restitution