POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Worst read ever : Re: Worst read ever Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:18:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Worst read ever
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 2 Feb 2009 15:17:04
Message: <498754c0$1@news.povray.org>
>> By the time it got to the part about "maybe at some point in the
>> future we will have the technology to design our own genome and travel
>> back in time to seed the Earth with it", I was in a state of utter
>> disbelief. *How* can somebody who claims to be a scientist seriously
>> propose such nonesense?!
>
> Hmm, can't a scientist speculate?  Thought experiments, anyone?

"Hmm, how could something this complex have arrisen? Well, maybe it was
designed by aliens from another planet."

"Well, yeah, but then how did *they* arrise in the first place? You
haven't really answered the question, just moved it to another planet."

"Hmm, well, maybe in the future *we* will became sufficiently advanced
to both design entire genomes and also travel through time. So maybe
*we* are the 'aliens'?"

"Uh... now you've just hidden the problem inside a temporal paradox
instead of answering it."

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/