POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : White is in the winter : Re: White is in the winter Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:21:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: White is in the winter
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 2 Feb 2009 13:12:14
Message: <4987377e$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:

> Well, one of the things that always amused me was seeing cities shut down
> down south because of a snow amount like what you got.  The thing is, all-
> weather tires on cars isn't common in the southern US AFAIK, and the
> south tends not to have snow removal equipment.  Couple that with people
> who have never actually driven on anything worse than a wet, oily road
> and put them on a skating rink....it can get more dangerous than driving
> with experienced winter-weather drivers in Utah on black ice.
>
> How much snow removal equipment is there in Milton Keynes?

Well, since yesterday every single main road in the city has been
gritted, and even some of the minor estate roads. It's still snowing
right now, and yet there's no snow laying on any of the road surfaces
yet except *right* outside my front door. That can't be too bad, eh?

(Milton Keynes is arranged in a grid of roads, so saying that the main
roads are gritted means that you can basically get between any two
points in the city easily.)

Many of the roads outside the city aren't so clear, but so far today I
haven't seen anything that I'd remotely consider "dangerous". Now, if
this lot melts and then freezes again over night, *then* we'll have a
problem...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/