POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : FFT Toy : Re: FFT Toy Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:16:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: FFT Toy
From: Invisible
Date: 2 Feb 2009 11:17:03
Message: <49871c7f$1@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:

> Real world is never as nice and neat as ideal..

On the contrary...

http://www.xkcd.com/538/

;-)

>> Yeah, it's tricky. There are several possibly ways to map the s-domain
>> to the z-domain - including advanced techniques where one specific
>> frequency maps exactly while the rest are all approximate. (E.g., so
>> you end up with a correct cutoff frequency even if the rolloff angle
>> is different.)
>
> Hmmm. That I did not know...

If you just remap all the points on a line into a circle, the distances
between the poles and zeros changes, which changes the shape of the
transfer function (and hence frequency response). You can minimise this,
but not eliminate it.

Or so I discovered when I tried to *do* this stuff! ;-)

>> Yeah, I think I have a picture somewhere on my harddrive of him doing
>> his "it's time to ****ing FEED ME!" expression. Except that, of
>> course, you can never tell if he means "feed me" or something else -
>> just "I'M NOT FRIGGIN HAPPY!"
>
> He's in the point in a vague direction and grunt. If you don't figure
> out what he wants immediately, he goes thermonuclear on you. Quite fun.
> Just the tip of the terrible twos iceberg, I'm afraid.

LOL @ thermonuclear.

I never cease to be amazed by the energy efficiency of small humans.
They are so small, yet so ably produce deafening levels of sound. It's
quite astonishing! ;-)

>> I just hope he doesn't grow up to be an idiot. Because, man, that
>> would be seriously upsetting as a parent, I imagine... o_O
>
> Me, too. I can only hope our guidance through his early years will lead
> to him making sound decisions later in life.
>
> Of course he has the option to ignore all of our guidance advice and
> upbringing, too. :/

Hmm... I bet that would suck though. Man, being a parent just sounds
really stressful and unrewarding...

>>> I thought about downloading the demo to play around with.
>>
>> What, Reaktor?
>>

> Yes, They have a time-limited demo (with no saving ability) just to play
> with. I imagine I won't be able to do terribly much in 30 minutes ...
> but I can play for a bit.

Yes, IIRC you install the program and it runs in "demo mode" until you
type in the license code. (So you *are* getting the "full program", only
with saving disabled and a timelimit imposed.)

It can, of course, load anything created with the registered version of
the program... ;-)

>> Still, I gather that with analogue electronics, anything much beyond 6
>> poles is basically hopeless...
>
> Hmmm, that would be a rather ugly circuit design, I imagine....

The DSP guide claims that they're usually designed with biquads. (A
biquad being a design that produces two poles and two zeros.) Cascade as
many biquads as you need for the number of poles you want. But I'm told
that high-order filters require you to configure the circuits in
inherantly unstable ways, so they tend to not work properly.

> Ooh, Moog.. neat :) Wish I could find some really good synth tracks.

I've got some chewed up tapes of a chewed up LP featuring Bach's Toccata
& Fugue in D minor, and also something called "13 variations on a theme
of Paganini".

>> And then you get into the whole "waveguide synthesis" thing, like
>> Reaktor's Steampipe instrument. Very neat...
>
> I remember you posting something created with Steampipe.

If you only play with one thing, play with Steampipe.

Kontact gives you real recordings of a real flute, which do sound more
"real". But only Streampipe lets you very the breath pressure so that at
first there's only hissing, then suddenly a note, and the note goes out
of tune, and finally it jumps up an octave... You can't do that with a
recording.