POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : FFT Toy : Re: FFT Toy Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:21:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: FFT Toy
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 2 Feb 2009 08:24:18
Message: <4986f402$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
>>> You may also find this interesting:
>>>
>>> http://www.falstad.com/dfilter/
>>
>> I like this the best.. Such fun messing with the filters. FWIW, I now
>> know why the Chebyshev can be called resonant.
>
> And WHO SAID that physics is borig, eh? ;-) Seems pretty fun to me...
>
> I'll have to throw together a toy for displaying the transfer function
> in 3D. ;-)

I quite enjoy falstad's Java applets...

Interestingly the IIR filters can also be created with an analog circuit
(using the very same poles and zeros, in fact) . I think I seriously
annoyed my wife with the filtering applet. ;)

Its kind of nice knowing enough to predict what will happen when moving
a pole or a zero on the chart (Custom IIR)

Interestingly modern computers are fast enough to run an arbitrary FIR
filter with little (actually no) trouble. Though I imagine the reason
the MT32 emulator went IIR is twofold: 1. It approximates rather closely
the original analog filter in the real device, 2. 32 channels of audio
need to be filtered simultaneously in real time. IIR is vastly faster.

Why do I keep bringing up the MT32 emu? It was the first DSP project I
ever played with the source code to. I'm familiar with it, and I
understand the hardware.

--
~Mike