POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : next beta delayed due to hardware trouble : Re: next beta delayed due to hardware trouble Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:25:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: next beta delayed due to hardware trouble
From: Mike Price
Date: 2 Feb 2009 07:20:34
Message: <4986e512@news.povray.org>
> Ta for the offer, at this stage all is OK (i.e. I have a spare hard
> drive). It's
> getting the data across that is a pain, I have a three-week old backup but
> I'd
> really like to recover the stuff I've done in the meantime. I'm working on
> that.

With regard to the failed hard drive, do you know about the freezer trick?
It's worked for me a few times. After a drive has failed, sometimes you can
get it to run for a short time more if you place it in the freezer for an
hour (wrapped in polythene). Then take it out and connect it up immediately.
If it runs make sure you're ready to copy data off. It won't normally run
for very long, but possibly long enough to retrieve import data.