POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : White is in the winter : Re: White is in the winter Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:14:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: White is in the winter
From: Invisible
Date: 2 Feb 2009 05:22:59
Message: <4986c983@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> Hehe I laughed when I saw the bbc website too, with it's "Heavy Snow"
> shock-headline, only to be followed by photos like these:
>
> http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45435000/jpg/_45435350_006818362-1.jpg

PEOPLE OF BRITAN, THIS IS NOT WHAT HEAVY SNOW LOOKS LIKE! THIS IS A
MINOR FLURRY. GET SOME PERSPECTIVE.

Why, when I was a lad (no! come back!), my old man used to drag me and
my little sister up to the top of the hill, and then she'd sledge to the
bottom again. And let me tell you, I can remember walking in snow *so
deep* that I'd be up to my knees in it, and it all used to fall in the
top of my boots! :-P

OK, my boots were probably only a foot high or so, but still... the snow
used to lay for *weeks* on end, not an hour or two. Hell, as recently as
1996 I remember us getting about 20 cm of snow, and nobody seemed that
bothered about it.

> What on Earth would the headline be if there was actually, you know,
> about 30cm of snow?

God only knows... :-D

I'm still unimpressed by the pictures of the "blizzard conditions"
featuring a bunch of people trying to push a car out of the ankle-deep
snow. I mean, why are cars spinning their wheels in 1.5 cm of snow??
There was more snow than that in my estate, and nobody appeared to have
any trouble with it...

OOC, how much snow is there in the various other parts of the world
where POVers are reading this??