POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? : Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:19:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this?
From: Darren New
Date: 1 Feb 2009 12:10:23
Message: <4985d77f@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> If its just "may", it wouldn't keep asking me to reboot, over and over
> again.

Right. So you're using the file it updated. Not much you can do about that.

> Now, when it "doesn't" need to do it, its very very nice. Just
> wish that was more often, or it was, I don't know, nice enough to tell
> me which applications might "conflict" with the install, so I can shut
> them down *before*.

It often does. Sometimes it's hard to tell which application is using a
particular file.

> things that "could" be causing it, and are.. not always trivial to
> restart manually (or worse, won't restart automatically, in some cases,
> if you "manually" shut them down before, due to how they save their
> "active" state between boots.)

And that's exactly why you get asked to reboot. :-)

> But, yeah. Its a "little" better, but not
> what everyone kept insisting, which was "almost never".

It's almost never for me. Are you using XP or Vista?

IME, XP reboots far less than previous versions (which pretty much rebooted
for every update), and Vista reboots "almost never".  I've not had any
software install that asked for a reboot except .NET 3.5.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"