POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? : Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? Server Time
9 Oct 2024 20:50:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this?
From: Darren New
Date: 1 Feb 2009 12:07:33
Message: <4985d6d5@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>>> There is only *one* update site,
>>
>> And you'd rather have lots of update sites? I'm not sure why you think
>> this is a bad thing.
>>
> You where implying that I was looking at the "wrong" one. I was a bit
> confused what one you thought I would be looking at...

Are you using "Windows Update" or are you using "Microsoft Update"? You're
using the wrong update program if you're not getting updates to your Office
software.

> Ah, well. I don't use Office, so... Not a surprise there isn't a lot of
> that coming down the pipe. lol

What do you expect them to update?

> Come to think of it, its probably hunting in the gigs of "backups" on
> that drive that get patched every few days too, which would mean its

I wouldn't be surprised. I can do a full Defender scan of an entire drive
here (including all software I've ever owned or downloaded on a separate
partition) in about half an hour or so.

> They ever get Windows Backup to do compressed incremental backups,

Yes. Unfortunately, MS screwed the pooch on this and only backs up what they
think are important files. Otherwise, it would have been a really nice system.

> or it still assuming you have an external removable that is at
> least as big as the "entire" data space you are backing up, like they
> did before? I haven't bothered to check, since it was nearly useless
> back when all I had to backup to was CDs, and it wouldn't do CDs. lol)

They improved that. You can now ghost the drive (full or incremental), or
you can do incremental backups to compressed zip files, either onto an
external HD or CD/DVDs, with a very nice mechanism for doing full and
incremental restores as well.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"