POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? : Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:18:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this?
From: Darren New
Date: 1 Feb 2009 12:03:36
Message: <4985d5e8$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Uh.. Where would this installer be? Oh, right... probably on the
> "corporate" multi-license version that most of us don't have access
> to... ;)

Right. Because if you're only installing one or two machines, it's really
not a problem to move stuff after the fact.

> Still doesn't imply that the defragger is "aware" of that data and uses
> it.

Actually, it probably doesn't need to any more, since the system does demand
paging now. It really doesn't help to move directories on the disk relative
to other directories just based on what they contain. Given things like
superfetch, readyboost, and all that, the files don't get *read*
sequentially, so having them particularly defragmented in a particular order
probably doesn't make sense any more.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"