POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Windows features : Re: Windows features Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:20:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Windows features
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 1 Feb 2009 10:59:16
Message: <4985c6d4$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> Would be "so" useful if... I don't know, I was some place where there
>> wasn't any internet, or FSM forbid, the "bug" caused loss of access to
>> that, now wouldn't it.
>
> I'm not real sure what you expect, then. Go buy the book that lists all
> the codes, maybe?  How many of them do you think you're going to look up?
>
>> Just plain logic demands that its "not" as good as having something
>> "in hand".
>
> And if this really is a frequent problem for you, you go buy the book.
> Be forewarned: it's pretty friggin big.  Do you really need a complete
> list of every event ever logged by any piece of hundreds of megabytes of
> code?

Sigh.. Software, not a web page. Yes, software is easier, but web pages
are only convenient "if" you can get to them. That is the point. As for
books.. Gah.. Same situation as with API-Guide. I own most of the books
covering the stuff in that program, and its "easier" to find the stuff
in API-Guide, not to mention that the "examples" in it tend to be far
more helpful than the, sometimes, too lean and incomplete ones in the
book. Favorite has got to the the "assumption" that every one of them
has that you are a) using VC, not anything else, and you "don't need to
know" what a flag value is, since you can just plug in the .h file for
it, the reference the name in your code. Yep, that works "so" well, if
you are trying to access the API via VB, or worse, a Lua wrapper. lol
Too much to have something "someplace" in one of their dozens of books
that listed the actual flags and what their "values" are? Apparently...
:p After all, its makes so much more sense to buy a $600 compiler you
don't need, than a $50 book you "do". ;)

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {