POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? : Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:19:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 1 Feb 2009 10:53:25
Message: <4985c575$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> "You may need to reboot the machine after this install.",
>
> Note the word "may".   If you're using the file it needs to update while
> the update runs, you'll need to reboot.  Otherwise, the system stops the
> service, installs the patches, and starts up the service again, etc.

If its just "may", it wouldn't keep asking me to reboot, over and over
again. Now, when it "doesn't" need to do it, its very very nice. Just
wish that was more often, or it was, I don't know, nice enough to tell
me which applications might "conflict" with the install, so I can shut
them down *before*. I do keep some things running most of the time,
including MySQL database software, a Yahoo gadget toolbar and 1-2 other
things that "could" be causing it, and are.. not always trivial to
restart manually (or worse, won't restart automatically, in some cases,
if you "manually" shut them down before, due to how they save their
"active" state between boots.) But, yeah. Its a "little" better, but not
what everyone kept insisting, which was "almost never".

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {