POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? : Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:23:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this?
From: Darren New
Date: 31 Jan 2009 20:08:09
Message: <4984f5f9@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>>> Oh, and FSM forbid they "ever" patch anything that isn't the OS to
>>> something,
>>
>> Huh?  You mean, like the way they don't patch Office, say?  Unless you
>> ask them to?
>>
> Uh.. Sure, security patches, which kind of... falls under the "causes
> problems for a lot of people with companies.", clause.

I'm still not following what you think they don't patch.

> This is.. Sorry, but, seriously, stuff like "drivers", they don't auto
> patch at all,

They most certainly do. Of course, the author of the driver has to submit it
to be patched, but what do you expect?  I've gotten numerous updates for
NICs, audio cards, and other stuff like that over the years on XP.

> There is only *one* update site,

And you'd rather have lots of update sites? I'm not sure why you think this
is a bad thing.

> and the only thing ever
> "added" are new versions of the "malicious software removal drone",

Then I guess your stuff is pretty stable. I get all kinds of updates for
both Windows and Office.

> whose sole purpose seems to be to send my machine into frozen limbo for
> several minutes, while it hunts hundreds of gigs of files for
> "dangerous" stuff, which it never actually finds.

I try not to be hard at work while installing updates to the operating
system, myself.   Sounds like you don't have enough memory to me, because
that runs in about 90 seconds once a month on my machines.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"