POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Windows features : Re: Windows features Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:20:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Windows features
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 31 Jan 2009 18:27:09
Message: <4984de4d$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> that at least told you want the codes "mean" in some usable way, as
>> one of the available tools?
>
> Did you try putting the code into the link I offered? You know, the one
> with the drop-down box letting you specify the program, the code, the
> sub-code, and it spits back an explanation?

Would be "so" useful if... I don't know, I was some place where there
wasn't any internet, or FSM forbid, the "bug" caused loss of access to
that, now wouldn't it. MS' recent foray into "cloud computing" stuff
makes me laugh for do to that. ISP can't keep me live reliably 100% of
the time (and I really doubt anyone else is *guaranteed* service either,
but I am supposed to rely on someone else's servers to "run"
applications I need... Might as well got back to horse and buggy and
"rent" someone else's horses to pull you around, while hoping the local
farm's pasture fence doesn't break 5 minutes before I need to go some
place, letting all the horses escape...

Web pages like that are worthless, if you can't get to them. Its the
same reason that, despite pages of documentation on the Windows API,
people thought writing API-Guide was a good idea. Looking something up
"locally", on software you actually have installed "works", unless its
the software that is broken. Looking it up on a web page you have at
least 5-6 points of failure on "your" end, plus another 5+, to as much,
in the worst case, of possibly a total of 30, or more, points of
failure, to get to that web page. Just plain logic demands that its
"not" as good as having something "in hand".

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {