POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? : Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? Server Time
9 Oct 2024 22:28:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 31 Jan 2009 18:14:50
Message: <4984db6a@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> Oh, and FSM forbid they "ever" patch anything that isn't the OS to
>> something,
>
> Huh?  You mean, like the way they don't patch Office, say?  Unless you
> ask them to?

Uh.. Sure, security patches, which kind of... falls under the "causes
problems for a lot of people with companies.", clause.

>> unless the problem is so critical its crashing thousands of corporate
>> networks, never mind "adding" anything useful to it,
>
> Uh, sorry. They add lots of stuff over time to *my* machine. Maybe
> you're looking at the wrong update site.

This is.. Sorry, but, seriously, stuff like "drivers", they don't auto
patch at all, even when it might make sense to, which.. kind of tends to
effect OS and machine performance. So... Not so good there. Other
patches.. There is only *one* update site, and the only thing ever
"added" are new versions of the "malicious software removal drone",
whose sole purpose seems to be to send my machine into frozen limbo for
several minutes, while it hunts hundreds of gigs of files for
"dangerous" stuff, which it never actually finds. Meanwhile, its like
running update under 98. Go eat dinner, and maybe by then the damn
machine will be usable again. My virus scanner's "all drives and files"
scan runs faster that that thing does, and causes less processor lag.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {