POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? : Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:19:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this?
From: Darren New
Date: 31 Jan 2009 13:25:20
Message: <49849790$1@news.povray.org>
Eero Ahonen wrote:
> Since 2k Windows has supported mounting partitions to directories. It
> doesn't come up on the normal installation, but wouldn't it be possible
> to just mount another partition to C:\Documents and settings or
> C:\Users?

It should, yes.

What I did is just copy the entire \users\public to my other drive, then
told Vista that public's home directory was m:\public

I've had zero problems with that.

 > Of course using both styles makes it more complicated to
> think, but I don't see why it wouldn't work just like mounting another
> partition to /home in Linux.

The only problems I can see are
1) making the change. I.e., you'd have to actually manage to delete \users
before you could mount another partition as \users. However, Vista now has
symlink-style reparse points, so you could probably use them.

2) if something tries to access \users in the boot process before it
finishes mounting all the drives, you could have a problem.

> Running defragger on Windows 3.1 sounds somewhat frightening.

IIRC, defraggers for the 16-bit OSes all ran under DOS, not Windows. But
some of them used the usage stats from Win95 to put common programs near the
front of the drive, and the ones for Win3 would put files in the same
directory next to each other if you told it to.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"