POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? : Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:20:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this?
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 31 Jan 2009 02:49:34
Message: <4984028e$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> That kind of depends on whether you need the complicated bits, don't you
> think? The opposite of "unnecessarily complicated" is "lacking features."

Somehow they've managed to pretty far miss both with Excel - it can bend
to incredible counting pretty easily, but it's still easy to use for
just basic-level report creating etc. Word seems to "suck" more on the
easy part - sometimes it seems to miss a button that says "disable
automatics, forget styles etc, just let me do this damn 1-page document
quickly out of way).

> MS has some of the best documentation out there, and they teach classes
> in using their stuff. Just because you never learned it doesn't mean it
> isn't out there.

Excel is one of the very few graphical programs that I've actually had
help from the help system - because it's help documentation is freaking
good.

> Somewhat. Much of that is due to people not installing patches or people
> not using the system as designed.

And another much is just the users, which break the security of any
system :).

> Why is it that OpenOffice can't do something that Word can?

I think mostly because the developers haven't seen those features
necessary (at least yet) and not enough users have asked for them.

-Aero