POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Damn! : Re: Damn! Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:15:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Damn!
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 31 Jan 2009 02:36:31
Message: <4983ff7f$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> No, that's true. Big directories are searched linearly, and the free
> space needs to get scanned to find blocks. So if your disk is big and
> close to full, allocating a block can take a lot of I/O, or require you
> to hold the entire map in memory.
>
> Fat-64 (aka exFAT) seems to be designed to address just these problems.

Maybe FAT some day will be designed for huge medias then :). I hope and
think they don't end up with just pumping up the address space (which
AFAIK pretty much is what they did with FAT-32).

> I suggest maybe "chkdsk /f" at the command line, schedule a scan, and
> reboot? :-)

That schedules the check for next reboot, and it was doing that already
;). Anyway, it crashed couple a days ago, which seems to have fixed the
problem :D.

-Aero