POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? : Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:21:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this?
From: Darren New
Date: 30 Jan 2009 21:46:56
Message: <4983bba0@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> I had no problem moving my home directory to a different partition.
>>
> Home, yeah. But.. You don't want to do this "before" you install some
> things, or they break (and yeah, yeah, they don't follow spec, blah,
> blah.. But geeze...), and somehow I doubt that it moved "everything",
> not just the documents.

Um, no.  Zero problems with it.  Indeed, it's done *exactly* the same way
you do it in Linux.

Alternately, you can go and change your home directory setting in the
registry after you copy all the files over, and you're good again.

Since you haven't any idea how I moved things, I'm not sure what basis you
have for doubting it moved everything.

But OK, we get it, no amount of actual rational discussion will change your
mind about how evil Microsoft is or how sucky their products are.

> Main point is, must Linux allow you do do this when setting it up,

So does Windows.   Not by default, but certainly if you use the more
advanced setting up options.

>>> to defraggers that still, to this day, don't have the common sense to
>>> defrag the "unused" space,
>>
>> Sure they do. Have for ages.
>>
> Just ran mine recently and watched. It may now crunch the unused space
> (badly though), but not the other.

They don't optimize program access? It's been doing that since like Win 3.1
or so. What's "the other" you're talking about?

> No they don't. Or not visibly, and/or obviously. If anything, load times
> on some things have gotten "worse" since the last defrag I did...

You've actually measured this scientifically, then?

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"