POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? : Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:19:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 30 Jan 2009 19:58:07
Message: <4983a21f@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> Are you crazy?? Most of the software I see around me costs £20 - £40.
>> £350 is seriously expensive!
>
> 60 pounds for a pretty complex word processor, spreadsheet and
> presentation package seems completely reasonable to me.
>
> 290 extra pounds for an email client, desktop publisher and database
> seems a bit extreme, but this is aimed at companies, not individuals, so
> of course they make the price higher.
>
> The alternative is to charge 100 pounds for the home edition, and 200
> for the professional edition, but I suspect they would make vastly less
> money that way.

Its not aimed at companies though. Companies "generally" don't go around
installing single machines, but buy "bulk" licenses, which gives them
"discounts" on installs. Sometimes they can even talk MS into handing
them the stuff for free (though not the upgrades).

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {