POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? : Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:22:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this?
From: Darren New
Date: 30 Jan 2009 12:30:13
Message: <49833925$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> desired. (E.g., I managed to find a KB article explaining how to use the
> Recovery Console. Except that, actually, it just duplicates, word for
> word, the terse command help built into the Recovery Console...)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

First link on "use recovery console" at msdn.microsoft.com.

You *are* searching MSDN, right?

What did you expect it to tell you? It's a command line interpreter. Looking
for how to use it is going to give you the list of command lines it interprets.

I suspect what you're really saying is "I had a specific problem I didn't
know how to solve, and I couldn't find a specific piece of documentation
telling me how to solve that except for the ones that required me to learn
more general priciples"?

> trying to do anything moderately nontrivial, the documentation tends to
> not help at all...

I disagree. Plus, if you're trying to do something *really* sophisticated,
like run a company's infrastructure, you go to a class to learn how to do
it, just like with every other major piece of software or hardware.

It sounds like you have specific problems you want solved, like "my backup
tape doesn't rewind before it tries to verify the backup", and you're
looking for documentation to solve that exact problem. Such documentation
*never* exists, for any product.

Gee, ya know, the owner's manual of my car doesn't tell me how to drive *or*
how to fix it! What do ya know?

> I don't know, but you'd think they could at least install an exception
> handler around the load routine so that if it fails, it doesn't crash
> all of Word, just the document load engine. Or *something*...

When you say "crash", what do you mean?  It just exits with a GPF or
something?  Guess what: that's the exception handler. :-)

> OTOH, OO is developed by a bunch of bored boffins in their spare time,

No it's not. It was developed by Sun so they could sell office software that
doesn't need to run on Intel hardware.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"