POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Windows features : Windows features Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:15:57 EDT (-0400)
  Windows features
From: Invisible
Date: 30 Jan 2009 11:16:39
Message: <498327e7$1@news.povray.org>
There are a few things that Windows won't let you do, that I wish it
would let you do. For example:

- Allow Administrators to pretend to be another user, without having to
know that user's password.

There are times when, in order to configure something, you have to log
in under the user's account before you can configure it. It would be
*so* much easier for everyone if the user didn't have to hang around so
they can enter their password for you 18 times while you try to get
their PC working. Of course, you can reset their password yourself - but
then you can't set it back to what it was (due to password recycling
restrictions).

- Allow Administrators to unlock a workstation without destroying all of
the user's unsaved work. (IOW, without terminating all the stuff they
have running.)

- Log security events in a meaningful way.

Do you know what

   Object Access Attempt:
   Object Server:Security
   Handle ID:144
   Object Type:File
   Process ID:3156
   Image File Name:C:\WINDOWS\system32\notepad.exe
   Accesses:WriteData
   Access Mask:0x6

means? I certainly don't.

But then, this isn't human-readable data. This is simply a raw dump of
the low-level internal data structures that Windows itself uses to
manage object access. Something human-readable would be far more useful.
As it is, all over the company we have event logs full of gibberish like
this that nobody can understand. We might as well not bother logging it...

- The ability to monitor CPU, HD and NIC activity from the notification
area would be useful. (It's useful for determining whether the computer
is actually "doing anything", and if it is, what it's waiting around
for.) Actually, I'm still hoping that one day somebody will design a
case with the NIC activity light on the front rather than the back. And
seperate indicator lights for each HD...