POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? : Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:25:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this?
From: Invisible
Date: 30 Jan 2009 10:27:45
Message: <49831c71$1@news.povray.org>
>> M$ Office 2007, full package, £350.
>
> ...but some people do (usually if they are a company) and so companies
> need to take advantage of this.  Notice how the "home" version of Office
> 2007 is 60 pounds but the full version is 350 like you said.  What's the
> difference? The 6x price increase certainly doesn't seem to be
> justified, but I suspect that way it makes the most money for MS overall.

That's because the "home" version has most of the stuff missing. I
actually fell into this trap myself; I was asked to obtain a copy of
Office, so I bought the home version. When we got it, we discovered that
it doesn't contain the required components. So then we had to go spend
*more* money...

>> If you think that's "cheap", then good for you.
>
> It seems completely in-line with other software available, which I
> assume has kind of settled down to the market price.

Are you crazy?? Most of the software I see around me costs £20 - £40.
£350 is seriously expensive!

Hell, even Apple sell their stuff for less than that, and Apple are
legendary for being expensive.

I wouldn't mind paying vast amounts of money for something if I got a
quality product for it. (E.g., I own several software synthesizers which
cost almost as much as M$ Office, or even more.) What makes me angry is
paying vast sums of money for a crap product.

>> If I paid that amount of money for something that didn't work right,
>> I'd be *pissed*! o_O
>
> I don't think they expect individuals to buy their software...

Well, true, but you'd think in a commercial environment, wasted time due
to preventable software issues would be an even bigger deal...