POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? : Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:24:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this?
From: Invisible
Date: 30 Jan 2009 05:30:13
Message: <4982d6b5$1@news.povray.org>
>> No. But you make it sound as if all M$'s problems are because computer
>> hardware is unreliable.
>
> IME, every time I am called because of a friend/family computer "not
> working", it is nothing to do with MS.  I can give you a long list of
> reasons, mostly due to other software, hardware malfunction or drivers,
> but none MS.

Most of the problems I get to look at aren't due to M$ either - but a
significant number of them are.

>> This is manifestly not the case. M$'s problems are because they
>> produce poor quality products.
>
> I use MS products daily on 3 or 4 machines and cannot remember the last
> time one of them crashed or when MS Office behaved badly.

Actual OS crashes are fairly rare, assuming you use your computer in a
sane mannar.

But I'm not just talking about complete crashes of the entire OS, or
even crashes of a single application. I'm talking about the whole
quality equation - how M$ products in general tend to be unecessarily
complicated, poorly documented, resource-inefficient, insecure, and so
forth.

> You mention corrupted Word documents, but IIRC we decided that was due
> to everyone using the same template/file that was corrupted and
> spreading this corruption through all your documents.  This is not
> really a fault of MS Office, especially when you didn't even use the
> "Open and Repair" command which would have probably fixed the problem.

Let's suppose that a particular Word document is corrupted. Why should
that make Word crash? Shouldn't it just pop up a message saying "I can't
read this file, it seems to be corrupted"? Isn't that what "graceful
failure" is all about? But no, Word just crashes outright.

I opened the same file in OpenOffice, and it just opened up as if there
was nothing wrong with it. I saved it again, and it has worked in Word
ever since.

Why is it that Word, a premium product designed and produced by the
richest software company on earth, cannot do something that OpenOffice
can? The people developing OO didn't even have access to a description
of the file format; they had to reverse-engineer it. And yet, they
somehow did a better job than the people who *designed* that file
format. How can that be right??

(Let us not go into the fact that Word costs almost infinity times more
than OpenOffice to start with...)