POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? : Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:22:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this?
From: Darren New
Date: 29 Jan 2009 18:43:52
Message: <49823f38@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Seen the lists, seen the rebuttals. Still not impressed. Especially when
> some of them are things like "Added a mess of new features to DirectX",

There's a bunch of internal stuff, as well as things like Media Center,
.NET, etc.

> unless it is something in the class of user interfaces, and those tend
> to be used to "hide" things you don't want people mucking with,

Sounds like One True Scotsman syndrome to me.  Because Microsoft doesn't
innovate, anything Microsoft does is, by definition, not innovation.

> FOSS has an excuse for this, they don't have thousands of developers
> working 24/7 on *one* project, trying to make it bloody work right.

Actually, it's worse. FOSS actually discourages getting projects "finished"
and easy to use and reliable, unless it's infrastructure for the people
working on other projects. Apache and gcc work great, because on top of
*that* people can write code that you can sell without giving it away (like
google does, in other words). But if you actually turned out a
professional-quality piece of software that needed what it did and it had to
work well, you couldn't make money off of maintenance. Hence the dearth of
games, accounting software, user electronics, and so on.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"