POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Damn! : Re: Damn! Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:19:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Damn!
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 29 Jan 2009 13:44:42
Message: <4981f91a@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Eero Ahonen wrote:
>> Nor over 1MB-sized media (speaking about original FAT).
>
> Well, yeah, but come on, FAT-16 is like what, 15 years old?

Yep, so it's clear that todays gigabytes-sized medias weren't around
back then. But it still means that there are visible flaws when running
big medias with such filesystem - FAT32 fixed the problem with huge
clusters, but even FAT32 was pretty unstable when run with Win98 on over
20-gig partitions (dunno why, for some reason 20+GB seemed to crash more
easily than under 20GB partitions). Still today FAT - or at least it's
Windows implementations - suck at least on some level when you have
enough files.

FAT was designed for removable media. It wasn't designed especially for
flash drives nor for huge medias. It's being helped to breath for over
10 years now.

> That's odd. Did you run it manually?

Nope.

> I've never had NTFS tell me it's
> corrupt, even when I've lost power during a defrag or something.

That's a known bug, I've hit it some time earlier also - there's no
failure in filesystem, but Windows thinks it should be checked, like
after unclean poweroff. There's a simple fix somewhere, I've just been
too lazy to find it again :).

>> Btw, that mentioned work-laptop still steals focus too often, even
>> though I did turn focus-stealing off from TweakUI.
>
> Yeah. I think Vista ignores that stuff to a large extent.

...except that I'm running XP on that particular laptop.

> The worst is
> when you get modal dialog boxes that manage to come up behind the main
> window, with nothing in the taskbar and the main window won't let you
> move it. I haven't quite figured out how to fix that one.  (Except maybe
> locking and unlocking the screen?)

I think I've been lucky, since I haven't got such thing. I think one of
the nastiest things are that when antivirus updates the engine, it might
ask for reboot - just finishing a line on some script and press enter...
And there you go.

-Aero