POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Damn! : Re: Damn! Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:18:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Damn!
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 29 Jan 2009 12:44:51
Message: <4981eb13@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> Right. While it's true that FAT was designed with removable media in
> mind, it wasn't designed with removable media being randomly removed in
> mind. :-) It's quite easy to corrupt FAT by turning off the power or
> unplugging the media in the middle of an operation.

Nor over 1MB-sized media (speaking about original FAT).

> When's the last time you saw Windows run chkdsk on NTFS when you boot,

Every time I boot my work-laptop (it doesn't turn the dirty bit off,
which is kind of annoying).

> compared to running scandisk under Win98 when it crashes?

Umm... not THAT often (I don't reboot my laptop twice a day;).

Btw, that mentioned work-laptop still steals focus too often, even
though I did turn focus-stealing off from TweakUI.

-Aero