POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The most common 3D mesh file format? : Re: The most common 3D mesh file format? Server Time
9 Oct 2024 18:18:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The most common 3D mesh file format?
From: scott
Date: 29 Jan 2009 08:57:38
Message: <4981b5d2@news.povray.org>
>> 1) convert all to triangles CTRL+T
>
> I tried this and the error is already shown here. You can try it
> yourself. Just look near eye brow after triangulation and the problem is
> there. It seems that blender triangulates the quad incorrectly. It
> should split it the other way.

Interestingly enough the Ctrl-T function tessellates that quad the opposite
way than it does to render it on screen.  You can manually tessellate that
single quad by hand by deleting the face and then creating two new faces the
"better" way round.

Alternatively (once your renderer is faster) apply a level or 2 of the
subsurf modifier, then the problem with non-planar quads in that model goes
away.

>> 2) recalculate the normals CTRL+N
>
> I actually calculate the normals in ssRay. But should be just fine. By
> inverting the normals, you' see a totally black monkey.

Are you planning to have an option to use the normals saved in the file?
Because on some meshes you want the flexibility of having parts smooth
shaded and parts with sharp edges.