POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povray generating "seg fixup" messages : Re: povray generating "seg fixup" messages Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:33:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray generating "seg fixup" messages
From: Alain
Date: 28 Jan 2009 21:21:53
Message: <498112c1$1@news.povray.org>
Rahul nous illumina en ce 2009-01-28 18:19 -->
> I've been noticing message of this sort in my /var/log/messages:
>
> kernel: 4gb seg fixup, process povray (pid 1501), cs:ip 73:00962939
>
> I've no idea what that is and if I should be worried at all. Does anybody have
> an idea?
>
> I was a bit concerned since there was the "kernel" involved! Perhaps it is not
> even a povray issue but I'm just falling back to "guilt by association"!
>
> --
> Rahul

Just a wild guess here.
I think that it may be related to some memory paging that may be happening while
POV-Ray is running. Memory paging causes a great many "page faults" when a bit
of instructions or data that need to be accessed have been pushed to the swap
file, and thus, need to get fetched back into RAM.

--
Alain
Sometimes my love of the arcane combines with my askew humor to make me