POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Script craziness : Re: Script craziness Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:14:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Script craziness
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 28 Jan 2009 13:47:48
Message: <4980a854@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Invisible wrote:
>>   NET USE J: \\uk-bigbox\department /persistent:no
>>   NET USE R: \\uk-bigbox\results /persistent:no
>>   NET USE M: \\uk-bigbox\management /persistent:no
>
> Might I wonder why you don't just user /persistent:yes and not run the
> script at every login?  Last I looked, Windows maps the drives when you
> log in, and unmaps them when you log out...  Is this some domain funkiness?

The reason: If I ever need to *change* the drive mapping, I can just
adjust the login script. However, if instead you make the drive mappings
permanent, this doesn't work.

(Indeed, Windows NT *defaults* to temporary mappings, so the switch was
unecessary. However, Windows XP defaults to persistent, hence the need
for me to add that switch.)

The [vastly more complex] VB script they're using at HQ tests for and
deletes any existing mappings, which also achieves the same job.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/